Tuesday 25 November 2014

A RAT TAUGHT ME A LESSON






A little rat kept disturbing my house, so I had to find a lasting solution; which is to get it away.

And so that evening, I got a rat gum, positioned it so strategically that it caught the rat in no time. I looked at the rat as it struggled to release itself but to no avail. After watching for a while, I decided to leave it there until the next day.

I woke up to a very big surprise! No, it didn't vanished, or did it die; it didn't release itself, as you may have widely guessed; instead, it kept on shaking, moving, vibrating, all in the move to free itself. So from about 9pm to 7am, that's 10 hours, the rat never relented in trying to free itself even though the odds were against it. That got me thinking.

If only we, humans, have and exhibit that characteristic of the rat, which is perseverance. If only we could continue to struggle with any and all forms of difficulty for our survival, not minding whether our efforts seem hopeless (it might not be hopeless because our perception sometimes deceive us). Interestingly, as human beings, we have solutions to any form of problem if only we can stay with it for as long as it takes.

In the end, I took the rat out and also took a lesson with it. There are so many things we can learn from our environment, if only we can observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment