Friday 15 May 2015

BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU'VE GOT






I was in a bus en route for Oyingbo, Ebutte Metta, when my phone rang, it was my mom calling. I answered the call and with joy in her voice she told me the good news that Chidinma, my twin sister, had just given birth to her second child, a baby girl.
It was just some minutes past noon on Monday, 17th November, 2014. Instantly, my face brightened with the warmest of smiles. My dad called some minutes later to pass the same information.

Without wasting time, I called some loved ones to proliferate the good news. The day is specifically memorable because it doubles as the day she got wedded in church three years ago.

I got to my destination, and in about an hour, I fulfilled the purpose for which I went there, I boarded a bus en route for Ketu to alight at Iyana Oworo. An old woman, who appeared to be in her late 60s, also joined the bus. As the bus moved, the woman's phone rang, she received the call and after hanging up, she started wailing and crying. My attention and that of other passengers were drawn to her direction; we got to know that her daughter, who was in an hospital somewhere in Ogolonto, Ikorodu, was in labour and having difficulty in giving birth to the twins she was carrying and that she had to be moved to another medical facility and time was not on their side. Instantly, I remembered my twin sister who gave birth just about an hour back at the General Hospital in Surulere with no problem whatsoever; also that her first child, a boy, she had was without much effort. There and then, it dawn on me that I wasn't thankful enough for the good that was done unto me. My mind was drawn back to my fellow twins who were finding it difficult to "touch down" here in this world. I began to pray for their safe delivery in good health and also for their mother to be alive and well. I continued praying even after alighting at my bus stop.

I don't have information of what later transpired, but I want to believe that as I write this, the mother, the twins and their grandmother are all hale, hearty and in perfect health.

That experience taught me that for every occurrence that seems normal to me, it may not be so for someone else; so, I've got to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment